President’s Message – December 2012
Another year has raced by and it's time to reflect on all that the Medical
Missionaries volunteers and donors have accomplished. With your help and support, we are making a difference, both in the
U.S. and abroad. You are making the world a better place for the poorest of the poor.
1. Over 20 trips to Appalachia with relief
of health related equipment and supplies to many individuals in Northern Virginia and Washington, DC
3. Large shipment of winter clothing, hygiene
supplies, and educational and athletic equipment to the Lakota Sioux Indians in South Dakota
4. A truck and trailer full of disaster relief items for the victims
of Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey
1. Support of over 100 medical teams with equipment, supplies, and
medicines going to Haiti and other areas of the Third World
2. Seven 20-ton containers of health supplies and equipment sent to 6 West African countries
3. Four containers of food and health related
supplies and equipment sent to Haiti, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica
4. 24/7 coverage at our hospital in Thomassique, Haiti, and support of Community
Health Centers in four surrounding villages, serving a total population of 125,000
5. Additional projects in Thomassique, including clean water program,
iodized salt program for the prevention of hypothyroidism and parasite control, midwife and maternal/child health program, nutritional
supplement program for severely malnourished children, a work study program for the children, and a school lunch program for
2,000 children in 10 schools
You, our volunteers and supporters, are responsible for all these accomplishments. Without
your work and support, we could not accomplish them. Medical Missionaries is an entirely volunteer organization
so that 99.5% of every dollar donated goes to support all the projects. With the hard economic times that all of us have faced
over the last few years there has been an increase in requests for assistance. All the members of the Medical Missionaries
Board thank you for your continued support.
May God bless you and your family throughout and beyond the Holiday Season.
Gilbert R Irwin, MD
President Medical Missionaries
P.S.: If you are doing estate planning at this time of year, please consider
including Medical Missionaries in your will to help us continue our commitment to helping the poor.